Saturday, January 3, 2009

Theme Verse of 2009

I grew up in a private Christian school, and every new school year they'd have a "theme verse." One year it was something about building foundations, so then all the announcement boards and the cover of the yearbook would have a building theme with hammers and nails and saws. I used to roll my eyes--rolling your eyes at things when you are in a Christian school is really popular. ;) I've never had a verse for the year before--however, I feel like God has given me a life verse, which is Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." I loved this verse since it was first brought to my attention when I was about 13 or 14. Being the Dreamer that I am, it amazed me that Jesus really desired to give us the desires of our heart and I'm seeing that more and more! I desired to be in a creative career (turns out it was photography!), I desired to learn (I got to attend University and I learn continually through other photographers as well as my own personal library of business books!), I desired a family (this isn't here yet, but hey, I'm in no rush, I got things to accomplish before I have four kids climbing all over me and a husband to cook for!), and I desired a job that I could handle while raising kids (photography is mainly at home in my office; perfect.) Jesus saw all these things I needed and wanted and had them in His plan. I love that.

I started 2009 by praying early in the morning on January 1st. I wrote down a bunch of things, including my "prayer list" for 2009, a dream list and some goals. While I was reading in 1 Thessalonians I came across this passage, and I knew this would be my theme for 2009.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-19
"Always be joyful. Pray continually, and give thanks whatever happens. That is what God wants for you in Christ Jesus. Do not hold back the work of the Holy Spirit."

Then God just gave me this prayer from these four verses, which perfectly sums up what I desire this year: God, I pray that I experience great joy. I desire to continually be in a state of prayer and to worship You throughout my day, for this is what You desire. I pray that the Holy Spirit will work in me freely, for the glory of your name.

If you haven't found a verse for your 2009, pray about it! He'll answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment