Monday, December 29, 2008

I Lose Everything

One of my biggest pet peeves is losing things. It's SUCH a pain. I hate spending time just running around every room in my house searching in drawers, cupboards and under beds for something. In my perfect world, I would remember where everything was and I would never be late because I couldn't find my wallet or my cell phone and I would never misplace anything. Ever. But unfortunately I keep losing things. Go figure. Today was no different. My beautiful friend Bekah is leaving for YWAM in Australia in two days and tonight was her "going away" party. I gave her a journal to record everything she was going to experience and everything God would speak to her for the next 6 months. With the journal I had also written out a little handwritten letter for her! And I went to find it to bring to the car and it was nowhere. I couldn't find it. I search for about twenty minutes the whole time thinking, "How frustrating is this! What a waste of time! I hate when I lose things! Where IS this!?"

I gave up for a while and came back to re-searching all the places I had looked twenty minutes before when I just stopped. I totally felt God tug on my heart and say, "Why aren't you asking me?" I'm learning more and more that God wants and more than wants, deeply DESIRES to be a part of our everyday, waking life. No detail is too "insignificant" for Him. In the past I've had a hard time asking God for the little things, but today I just said, "God. I'm sorry for not even thinking about asking for your help. I really, really need to find this letter I had prepared and don't know where else to look. Thank you that you know where this letter is, and Thank you for helping me find it." A few minutes later, I found it in my car (where I had already looked twice) and couldn't help but smile and say, "Thank you Jesus!" right aloud.

It hit me for the first time this evening that maybe God uses opportunities like lost cellphones or keys or wallets or letters to stop us in our tracks and give us a little wave. "Hello, I'm still here. We haven't talked since 8AM this morning. Don't keep me in your 30 minutes each day; I want to be in all of it. Talk to me. Tell me how you're doing. What's new with you?" Hah, it just makes me laugh how God works sometimes and how much our lives can change when we let Him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment