Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Child of God

One of my dearest loveliest friends Jess introduced me to this quote via her facebook profile a few years ago:

"We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us, ALL OF US. And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

- From A Return to Love: Reflections On The Principles of A Course In Miracles by Marianne Williamson.

I definitely struggled with some intense self-esteem issues in my earlier teenage years and I can only think of where I was a few years ago when I read this. I remember "kind of" believing what Marianne was saying, but at the same time doubting myself and also dealing with the idea of humility and how it applies to something like the quote above. God has lead me into a greater acceptance of who I am, what I look like, my talent/abilities over the past years and His amazing plan and purpose for my life. Let me try to explain how I see this quote now as it applies to humility. The Bible declares that we are called to live with humility:

1 Peter 5:5 - "All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'"

2 Chronicles 7:14 - "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Matthew 23:12 - "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

However, God seems to be calling us to be humble about our own abilities and our own strength. We should be humble as human beings, but boastful in our callings as children of Jesus. Without Him we are truly nothing and our boasting comes from God alone! Jeremiah 9:24 says:

"Let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.

God has placed us on this earth for a purpose and a plan--He has our days numbered and has written out our stories before we walk in them! How cool is that? Lately I have been grabbing a hold of all of His promises and truly letting it sink in that we are "Children of God" (John 1:12 - Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.) Our lives cannot be spent in mediocrity! God has been pushing me more and more to dream huge, big, scary, overwhelming dreams. No, I can't do by myself. No, it's not by my own abilities, but it's by Jesus Christ that I can do all things! I think leading a Christian life is the most thrilling, exciting adventure when we actually start believing the worlds that Jesus spoke. My church has been walking through a sermon series the past few months based on John 14:12 (NIV) called Even Greater Things. -- "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

John 14:11-14 in the Message:
"Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can't believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do."

It's GOD's power and His might and His strength and His spirit in us that should cause us to boast! We should not be living ordinary, ho-hum lives. Our lives are called to be examples to those around us; by continually pressing ahead we will be bringing others alongside and encouraging them as well. I encourage you to grab a hold of this quote and truly live like a son or daughter of the King. We walk with His spirit and have the ability to do "even greater works" than Jesus did during his short ministry here on Earth, according to John 14:12.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney? Awesome book!

    ReplyDelete